Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Eat.Here.Now: El Bohio Lechonera (Bronx)

After almost 5 years in this city I finally made it up to the Bronx to go have some authentic Puerto Rican food.  My trip was long overdue since I honestly can't find good restaurants in Manhattan that make me feel like I'm home.  About 8 of us gathered at my brother's and we made the trek up the 5 train to El Bohio Lechonera.  We had heard through the grapevines about this place from friends that were comparing it to the real deal back home in Puerto Rico so we had to try it.  After an hour trip, 15 minutes of walking near a highway (we got lost) and near frost bite on my feet we made it! Needless to say the food was delicious.  The pork was juicy, the mofongo was to die for and they offered all the sides that are essential in a Puerto Rican meal: rice, beans, yuca, plantains, plantains and more plantains.  The best part was the fact that the meal was just over $10 dollars per person.  So worth the trip.  If you are ever in the area or want to wander and explore a new cuisine, this is it.




No comments:

Post a Comment