Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Addicting Vegan Thumbprint Cookie Recipe


Vegan Recipe: Thumbnail Cookies with Apricot-Raspberry Preserves, The Out of Office Diet

My mom is famous for making one of the best non-vegan oatmeal cookies I've ever had (hang with me, I promise this is relevant).  When she recently came to visit, we made a batch together, but I messed up the dry ingredients by adding the wrong textured brown sugar.  Catastrophic.  Upon realizing my mistake, my mom scoured the pantry and found the type she needed.  She quickly went to throw the dry mix away, but I stopped her.  Instead, I put it in a ziplock bag and took it home. 

From this leftover mix of flour, brown sugar and oats came these insanely addicting thumbprint cookies.  I've tried to make vegan desserts before, with utter failure, so I was a apprehensive.  This was definitely a risk, but one I was willing to take.  After looking at a few recipes online, I built my own.

These cookies are a great alternative to the original.  Actually, I prefer them.  They offer a nutty taste and a kick of the salty/sweet combo that we all love.  Feel free to use any preserves you want or make your own.  This cookie is highly customizable.  And the best thing about them is that they are so so easy to make.



Vegan Recipe: Thumbnail Cookies with Apricot-Raspberry Preserves, The Out of Office Diet

Vegan Thumbnail Cookies with Apricot-Raspberry Preserves

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
2 cups quick-oats
3/4 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup grated almonds (I took sliced almonds and grated them in a food processor)
2 tbsp. melted vegan butter substitute (try Earth Balance)
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. cinnamon
Fruit Preserves

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350F.  Add coconut oil, vegan butter and vanilla extract in a bowl and mix slightly.  In another bowl, mix all of the the dry ingredients and slowly blend in the liquid ingredients until a uniform dough is formed.  With a tablespoon, scoop the mixture and create a ball with the palms of your hands.  Although the mixture may appear crumbly, you should be able to create a smooth and even ball. 

Vegan Recipe: Thumbnail Cookies with Apricot-Raspberry Preserves, The Out of Office Diet

Place the ball on an un-greased cookie sheet.  Place the balls, one by one in the sheet.  With your finger, lightly press the center, creating a dent.  The cookie should break apart a little but try to keep the cookie as uniform as possible. Use a spoon to drop a dollop of the preserve into the indentation.  Don't be conservative! 

Bake for about 10 minutes or until slightly golden.  Allow to cool on the baking sheet for another 10 minutes.  If you eat them very warm they will break apart, so make sure you give them time to cool.

Vegan Recipe: Thumbnail Cookies with Apricot-Raspberry Preserves, The Out of Office Diet

Place in your cookie jar and eat whenever you want.  You will be addicted.


No comments:

Post a Comment