Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Eat.Here.Now: The Toucan and The Lion

"I've died and gone to heaven" may be the most correct expression to describe this place.  When my friend told me to not walk, but run to this restaurant before it got popular, I did just that.  The Toucan and The Lion opened last December at Mara's Homemade's old spot (RIP crawfish) and my visit was deeelicious.

The cuisine seems to be nouveau american but with an asian twist.  I tasted the Blood Orange and Green Mango Salad and devoured the Chili Tamarind King Prawns.  But the best (by far) was the Duck Confit Mofongo.  Mashed taro root mixed with Chinese sausage and topped with a delicate fried egg.  The salsa verde gave it the perfect hint of tanginess. I will most definitely be back, but I'm sure next time I'll be on a wait list.

342 E. 6th St. near First Avenue, East Village)

 What to get, what to get, what to get, what to get

 Clean, white decor with really cool lighting.  Notice the plants?

Mofongo heaven 

The jumbo prawns

messy

 Done and done

 Celebrating this amazing dinner with mama in tow (it's a long distance relationship but we make it work) 

No comments:

Post a Comment