Wednesday, October 3, 2012

The Best Tres Leches Cake You Will Ever Make

The other day my roommate and skilled baker, Chris, made a tres leches cake.  I was eagerly awaiting it's arrival to my mouth but it was a birthday cake and was off limits to me (damn you, boyfriend).  The craving for it was unbearable, especially since tres leches cake takes me back to the days of yore in Puerto Rico, when I was young and carbs didn't set in my hips.  So, I used my friend's house warming party as an excuse to make one myself.  It came out delicious.  

This cake is not for the faint of heart or health nut.  It is rich and sweet but oh so moist and delicious.  It does take time to prepare so it requires a lot of patience.  But you can do it, cause you are better than plain vanilla.

I used this recipe from Food Network Magazine.  It was very authentic.  
First you have to mix the merengue.  Mix well!  This is the base of your cake and what will make it rise.  I mixed it for like 7 minutes.
 Prepare for a kitchen explosion.
 
Cake done!  Bake for 40-45 mins but check at the 30 mins mark.  Then after cooling for 10 mins, poke the crap out of it.
The cake then gets drizzled drenched in a syrup made out of condensed milk, carnation milk, heavy cream and Grand Marnier.  Then after 4 hours in the fridge, it is topped with fresh, fluffy whipped cream (right).
 
Done and done.  Cake, girlfriends, and wine. Perfect.


1 comment:

  1. Haha, bug bites- that's what happened! Bandaids were necessary to prevent me from itching them. They were pretty bad.

    Anyway- the food looks so good! Tres leches cake is my favorite. xx

    ReplyDelete