Thursday, September 11, 2014

9/11: The End of Our Era's Innocence

There are always a few milestones that define a generation.  For example, the Silent Generation had the Civil Rights Movement and the Baby Boomers had Kennedy.  For us Millenials, that milestone is 9/11.

I remember the exact place I was standing when I heard that a plane had hit one of the Twin Towers.  I was in History class and the bell had just rung.  There were rumblings in the hallway and teachers were meeting to talk about what was happening.  I couldn't believe what I was hearing.  My stomach dropped right there and then.  I had family in New York. Where they ok?  Where was my cousin? Where was my aunt?  Where they in the city? Where they close???  That day, my mom picked us up and immediately started crying.  She was a mess.  The night before, she had dreamt that my brother and cousin (the one living in New York) had been drafted to war.  My stomach churned.  We were so far away from New York but the fear was near.

Living in this city now, with the growing population, the soaring real estate prices and the glitz,  I cannot imagine what New Yorkers went through in 2001.  I often wonder: if I lived here, would I have left?  Would I have been strong? Would I have unwillingly moved on like everyone was forced to do because that is what life is about?  I'm not sure.  I'm grateful that I haven't been given the chance to find out.

In memory of 9/11, I leave you with this article by The NY Post that my friend shared on Facebook. Her friend Allegra is featured and her story touched me the most.  I hope the read makes you feel grateful for what you have today.


Beautiful downtown New York from a helicopter ride, 7/11/14

 New York, I love you.


No comments:

Post a Comment